I have seen New Jerusalem, and it lies in Bangkok. Wat Phra Kaeo is the most stunning religious monument I’ve seen, and I’ve seen the Vatican. Golden temples encrusted with jewels of all kinds mesmerize the eye. Carvings of mythical Buddhist beasts surround them in static loyalty. Inside the main temple, they let you meditate in front of a holy shrine, pyramidal in shape, which holds up an emerald Buddha at the top, which is actually jade, but I believe "Temple of the Jade Buddha" is already taken as a place name in China. The number of artifacts on the shrine is mind-boggling. It reminded me of the Sistine Chapel because there were paintings everywhere (except for the ceiling). However, the holiest chapel of art in Christianity comes short compared to this temple, if not for the fact that the shrine outshines almost any altar. Michelangelo would have needed a lot more help to rival it.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.